I am pleased to welcome you to the Philip Morant website. It is an exciting time for the school as we build on our proud traditions and continue to develop confident, ambitious and informed young people.
Philip Morant is an oversubscribed, mixed comprehensive, in north-east Essex. The school has served the town of Colchester for over half a century and has a tradition, not only of excellence in education but also caring for its young people. Philip Morant is a happy school in which, overwhelmingly, students feel safe and achieve well.
We have made significant progress since our last Ofsted inspection, including a set of examination results that are the best they have been for many years. Some of the highlights include:
- Securing better than national outcomes in the recent GCSEs and A-Level examinations
- 69 % of students achieved a 4 + in English and Maths; the vast majority of subject areas achieved 9 – 4 pass rates above the national average
- 80% of students achieved a 4 + in English (68% 5+)
- 78% of students achieved a 4 + in Maths (48% 5+)
- 58 students (20%) achieved a string of 7+ / A / A* grades
- 295 Grade 8 and 9s were obtained by our students
- 25% students achieved 7 – 9 in MFL
- 733 students across the country achieved 7 or more grade 9s – three of these students attended Philip Morant
- A-level results were in the top 25% of schools nationally
Our ethos is encapsulated in three words: ‘Aspiration, Success, Kindness’ which underpin our approach to all aspects of school life.
Philip Morant is ambitious for all of its students in their pursuit of excellence whether that is in the classroom, on the football pitch, the stage or working within the community.
We are committed to achieving the highest standards and delivering an holistic education and experiences which prepare our students for the next stage in their education, training or work place.
Please feel free to contact us on 01206 545222 if you require any further information about the school, or would like to arrange a visit. We will offer you a warm welcome and let you see for yourself why we are proud of our school.
Scott Holder (Executive Head Teacher)